Tuesday, February 08, 2005
On this day:

The Superbowl!

I must admit, I dont follow the sports of your typical Irish person. In case you dont know me, I've compiled a little list to back up my argument.
  • I played hockey and intend starting again
  • I currently play volleyball
  • I enjoy watching cricket and understand the rules
  • Baseball is actually a good sport
  • I have never played ANY GAA sport
  • I dont usually watch a soccer match from start to finish (the hint there is that I call it soccer, not football. People tell me its a dead give away I dont follow "football" when I say soccer)
  • I went to a rugby playing school all my life and never really got into rugby
  • I've been to an ice hockey match
  • And finally, I stayed up until after 3am Monday morning to watch Superbowl XXXIX
For those of you who arent in to American sports, I think you're missing out. The Superbowl at the weekend was good. It wasnt the best game EVER, but it was damm good watching. It was a shame that Philadelphia Eagles threw away the game, in my opinion, but it was still entertaining. The result was 24-21 in the end and the Eagles nearly clinched it at the end, but unfortunately the dynasty was too much.

If you think I'm crazy to be watching American sports, just look around you for examples. There is a message board dedicated to American Football on Boards.ie, the Portebello pub was absolutely packed Sunday night with people watching the Superbowl according to my friend and its on Sky Sports almost every weekend.

Boston has been enjoying its second parade in recent times, following the Boston Red Sox World Series win in October. But spare a thought for Philadelphia who hasnt won anything since 1983. In spite of being a big city, their sports teams have never really come anywhere, except for this year. But the Patriots ended those dreams.


I'm not really sure why I enjoy these sports, and not the typical Irish sports like hurling and gaelic football. I just dont find them as interesting or as exciting as some other sports that are out there. Dont get me wrong, hurling is a great sport to watch, but it still doesnt have me browsing the internet for hours reading articles or staying up until 3am.

Before the superbowl, I was chatting online to a friend from Boston. I was just chatting generally to him about how the AFC and the NFC (basically the rounds before, with the Superbowl as the final) were going. He was completely amazed at how much I knew and how much I loved the sports. He didnt think anyone in Ireland really cared for American Football. I must say I enjoyed talking about it more than I do about hurling.

There was an interesting article on Sky Sports before the superbowl with interesting facts about it. For some reason, I cant find it now, but on of the most interesting facts about it was that there are more toilets flushed at half-time of the Superbowl in America that any other time of the year. Another one, was that Superbowl weekend is the slowest weekends of the year for weddings! Weird eh? Or you may be thinking that I'm the weird one here!