Tuesday, February 08, 2005
On this day:

Follow Up To J1 Blog

My blog about how the number of J1's is declining prompted a nice little debate when I posted it back in January. Following up from this, there is an interesting article in today's Irish Independent which gives some interesting facts about the J1 experience.

There are a number of heartening things said, pointing to a reversal in the decline of Irish students spending the summer in the USA. "However, the numbers taking part are expected to go back up this year with the active encouragement of the US embassy in Dublin." Since 1996, USIT have sent 150,000 students to the States. This is a huge figure, but doesnt include SAYIT who I went with in 2002, and are in my opinion much better. So I reckon the true figure is actually well over 200,000.

Of those that went, "97pc said they would recommend the J-1 Work and Travel programmes to future students." and that "Seven out of ten were in jobs within a fortnight of arrival". These statistics seems to dispel the rumours that going on a J1 is a difficult and not worthwhile. I would argue that the other 30% got jobs soon after, and it they didnt, then they must either have been extremely unlucky or completely non employable! Its also good to see that 82% went travelling for 2 weeks after finishing work. I went on 3 weeks travelling, which was amazing. Considering the programme is called "Work & Travel Programme" I suppose its not surprising people go travelling afterwards, although some people just go straight home, which is a pity.