Wednesday, February 02, 2005
On this day:

What Did I Ever Do?

So, I'm just after getting the phone from one of my good friends who is working in Florida for 6 months. I havent talked with him in a couple of weeks, so it was good to catch up. Anyway, as you may know, I'm finishing my job in Dublin soon, so I will have a couple of months to go travelling. I will be finishing up in about a month or so giving me plenty of time to visit my friend.

Two other friends from school are going to visit him at the start of March for 10 days. He's taking a few days off to go travelling around with them, which would be cool to join in on. Although I will probably still be working, I could get off if I had to. I mentioned to him if I could go over too, to which he said, he wouldnt mind, but someone else might i.e. one of the lads going over. You see, for some reason, myself and this guy, lets call him Paul, never really got on. I'm not sure why, but we were never really good friends, even though we were in the same group of friends in school and kinda still are. Our other friends often joked about it, but we just passed it off as a joke because I support Spurs and he supports Newcastle, who dont get on anyway.

But when I asked, lets say David if I could join them, he basically said that there was no point in lying, but Paul had said that I cant come with them. I mean, I probably couldnt go then anyway, but even if I wanted to, I couldnt go because Paul wouldnt like it. It really pisses me off that he would feel that strongly. David said that its not my fault, and just his. I asked if there was any specific reason why he didnt like me, to which David said no.

I've never done anything to him and have actually made an effort to be friendly, but he just insists on saying as little as possible to me. And for him to actually stand in my way of going visiting David really annoys me. I shouldnt have to change my plans just because he's so ignorant and stubborn and not willing to get on.

This reminds me of an occasion when we were all out for a friends gig. Paul was driving and dropped David home. It was late in the morning and I didnt have the car, so I had no way home. Even though it would only have been about 15/20 minutes max out of his way, Paul didnt offer to drop me home and so I had to stay on David's floor that night, which I felt bad doing because it was such short notice. If the roles were reversed, I wouldnt have hesitated in dropping him home. What he did, or rather didnt do is just plain mean.

I could probably ramble on for a while longer, but I dont think I'd make any sense. It just really annoys and frustrates me that someone can actually consciously act like he does. Hopefully I wont be so pissed off in the morning after a good nights sleep. I wonder has anyone else had a similar situation with a "friend" who is cold and unfriendly for no obvious reason?