Friday, January 28, 2005
On this day:

Sad Day For Me

I know I said I would only be back on Monday, but I lied! I came across the 2005 Bloggies last night and it kinda hit home how small and insignificant my blog is. Looking at some of these websites and the size of them and the traffic to them, put "Ciaran's Blog" in perspective. I may have recently broken the 1,000 hits on my counter, but this pales in comparison to some websites. Even Birding Babylon gets more hits than me and even had an article written about it! I mean, its about a guy who talks about the birds he sees while on duty in Iraq. Not wanting to belittle his hobby, but honestly, how is he getting all this traffic?

Another blog I came across was Gooner UK which is about a student in Kings College in London talking about getting drunk and the fact he's still a virgin. He has been mentioned in an article too. Its a blog about the everyday life of a student. You wouldnt think it could be so popular, but it is. Strange world we live in!

I would be betraying myself if I changed my blogging style just to get myself more hits and be written about in an article. I started this blog back in November 2004 to express myself to the world. I have been surprised by how many people actually read my blog, but I dont think its that much worse than some of these amazingly popular blogs. I think which blogs become massive is all down to luck. Maybe a journalist comes across it and writes about it, which then gets fired around the world through the media machine. It then becomes exponentially popular.

I just express myself and if people like it, then they'll read it, and if not, then so be it, I've expressed myself, which is what I wanted to do. But it would be nice to have some bit of a regular audience!