Friday, January 14, 2005
On this day:

Donation to Charity

So, I'm just after donating some money to Trocaire, an Irish aid agency that is heavily involved in giving aid to Africa. It is also part of the Irish aid mission to the tsunami victims in Asia. I donated to them for a number of reasons. They're an Irish aid agency, but also they gave me the option when I'm donating as to where I want my money to go to. I chose Sudan because Africa is a place that will always need money, whereas areas affected in Asia will recover in time.

Bob Geldof was recently quoted in an article on the BBC website as saying the following regarding the tsunami. He has called on people to not forget about Africa. I think this quote sums things up very well

"The tsunami must be dealt with. It is an act of God, an act of nature, Africa is an act of man. Millions die every year completely unnecessarily. That can be adjusted, we can actually resolve that issue. I don't think we can resolve problems like earthquakes and tidal waves. We can be warned against them."

I agree with him as I think people are getting caught up in the moment and media hysteria surrounding the tsunami, while completely ignoring other terrible diasters. Another person voicing these concerns is Lord Hurd, so it seems Bob Geldof is not alone.

"Former Foreign Secretary Lord Hurd has voiced concerns the focus on the Asian tsunami disaster will divert funds away from aid to Africa."