Sunday, January 09, 2005
On this day:

De Luas

Something that's surprised me is that other people are actually reading my blog. Looking at the statistics of who's visited my blog is interesting. Another nice thing is that TWO other people have actually linked to my blog. This has given me added motivation to keep my blog updated because other people depend on it! They actually read my blog and are somewhat interested in what I say.

As a regular Luas user, I noticed before Christmas these poles by every stop. As work progressed on them, I grew more curious as to what they are. If anyone reading this uses the Luas and knows that I'm talking about, I'm sure you're just as curious as I am as to what they are. Well, thanks to my flat mate, Neil who's very well versed on all things public transport tells me that they're scanners for a new integrated ticket system to be used on the Luas and Dublin Bus. It was annoying me a lot before Christmas, but now that I know what they are, I can sleep easily.

Having lived in London for a few months over the summer, I used the Oystercard which is the undergrounds equivalent smart card. I absolutely loved it, as it didnt mean fumbling for a ticket to put through the machine. All I had to do was swipe my wallet, which contained the Oystercard over a sensor and the gate opened. However, anytime I used the Docklands Light Rail I never bothered touching it against the sensor, as you could just walk on to the train. Considering the Luas is the same, I doubt anyone will really use it. I mean if you have a weekly, monthly or annual ticket, then there's no reason to touch your card against the sensor at the stop. And here's why: If you get checked on board the train, it makes no difference if you've touched it against the sensor. The only reason you should touch it against the sensor is if you have a pre pay card where you have say €10 in your card and it deducts the fare depending on where you get on and off.

So basically, after that pretty boring discussion, I can conclude that this new system will barely be used. Actually I had this conversation with Neil after he told me what those things were and it seemed interesting. I suppose thats because he's totally into his public transport and I just wanted to find common ground with him. Speaking of Neil, he turned off my laundry last night and when I went to open the door, there was still water in it because he turned it off half way though the cycle. Still though, you'd imagine that they machine wouldnt let you open the door if there is water still in it. Anyway, he cleaned it up as it was his fault and my clothes didnt get destroyed, so all is good.