Thursday, December 16, 2004
On this day:

Politics

So, politics. I wouldn't consider myself political, but considering all the books I read, I suppose one could say I have an interest in international politics. Two stories stood out today on the BBC News website. The first story is kinda funny, but serious at the same time. Bobby Fischer, a former world chess champion is being sought by the US government because he played a chess match in Yugoslavia 10 years ago when there was US and UN sanctions against Yugoslavia. Seemingly he could get 10 years for playing a chess match. Then again, he did earn $3 million for playing the match. Still, its just a chess match!

The other story is a little more serious and somewhat closer to home. Its about Turkey beginning membership talks to join the EU. Now, I'm all for EU enlargement and was especially proud when on May 1st 2004, 10 new countries joined when Ireland had the EU presidency. But adding a new county that would make it the largest country in the EU with a massive Muslim population and giving the EU a border with Iraq is a little much. I don't know much about Turkey, but my impressions are that it doesn't belong in the EU. The politicians have notions that it will help the EU rival the US as a global power and that it will help reduce the EU - Islam tensions meaning they wont blow us up.

The fact it would be the poorest county in the EU is also worrying. There are a number of new ascensions states that need all the money they can get. Wanting another massive country that's even poorer, is asking for trouble. I suppose one saving grace is that membership for them is at least 15 years away and that Chirac has promised the French people a referendum on the issue. If Ireland have a referendum on the issue, I reckon I'd vote against them joining. I'm happy with the EU as it is. Its the European Union, not the "European slash Middle Eastern Union" Just because they have a little patch of land technically on the European Continent and about 95% of the country is in the Middle East shouldn't give them a right to join the EU. But seemingly it does!