Friday, December 03, 2004
On this day:

The Luas

So, the Luas! I think its great. But as everyone knows, you can't be a good old rant about the state of public transport, no matter where you are. Being in Dublin makes it a little easier because its pretty shocking to begin with. However, the Luas is probably Dublin public transport's saving grace.

Its a light rail system that is only open about 4 months, but ever since I've been in Dublin, I've used it. I cant honestly think of Dublin without it. I had the displeasure of getting the bus to work for about 2 weeks before I came across the amazing Luas. By the way, I had always thought it was the Irish for speed, but I was corrected at the intervarsities by James who said it actually meant velocity. I have no reason to disagree, so Luas means velocity. I suppose its pretty apt, as a tram system that just went fast, without going anywhere in particular would be useless. So, having it go with speed and direction is pretty handy. Thankfully its direction is perfect for me. Its about 2 minutes walk from my apartment, and it goes right to where I work.

Anyway, back to my gripes about the Luas. Before last night, I didnt have a bad word to say about it. However, last night was the first night of the Night Link. Usually the last Luas leaves St Stephens Green at 12.30am. But to allow drunk people after Christmas parties to get home, they now offer a service on the half hour until 3.00am. Now here's the nice bit. It costs €4, which to get home after a night out is nothing, but they totally ignore people who have weekly, monthly or even annual tickets. I went out last night to The Village and got the 1.30am Luas home. I was thinking of just blagging it by not buying a ticket and pleading ignorance because it was the first night of the Night Link, but my conscience got the better of me.

Low and behold, there was a ticket inspector on board. I showed her mine, no problem. She (by the way is a bad idea when having to deal with drunken lads with no ticket, but thats another story!) then went over to this couple sitting near me. The girl pulled out her weekly ticket, but she was told that it wasn't valid. Then her boyfriend jumped in saying that "we were never informed of it" and similar shite. They got all offensive blaming her for them not knowing they should buy a ticket. I wish I was back there now so I could have asked them "Well how come you didnt know you had to pay €4, but knew there was a late night Luas running?!" Hmmm? The ticket inspector just told them buy it next time. But at the next stop two really drunk lads came on, and when they got on, the driver came out and kicked them off for not having a ticket. Seems unfair that drunk people get kicked off, but obnoxious couples get away with it!

Hopefully, none of you were too annoyed yesterday when I didnt post anything, but you know this work business it taking up all my time, and I'm not happy about it. Actually, I spent most of my day yesterday just uploading loads more pictures to the volleyball club gallery. I'm off home this weekend, so it'll be Monday until I'm back here again. Only 90 minutes of work left for me this week! Woo hoo!