Friday, February 25, 2005
On this day:

Acceptable Usage Policies

While I dont usually talk about work, except to complain about it, I'm going to talk a little about it, while not giving the show away and getting fired.

The project I'm currently working on is pretty fecked. Its a computer application that we're developing. Its way behind schedule and is supposed to be ready by March 22nd! What a joke. I will eat my shorts if its ready by then. There are huge areas that arent done, but in true upbeat mode of my company, a "good effort" will see us through. Working late and weekends will get us through supposedly. If it is enough, it will be barely holding together. But I'm out the gap soon after, so I dont care if it falls over in a cloud of dust after I leave!

I got an e-mail today with the "Acceptable Usage Policy" of the company I'm currently working at. I'm not actually employed by them, so I dont really have to follow it entirely. You see, I'm basically a contractor working at a different company. I've highligted some of my favourite aspects of it, which I find ridiculous and hilarious. If you knew what a sham the company is, it would make more sense. But take my word for it, this company is a bit of a joke.

According to the AUP,
  • "more than 5 non-business related e-mail items per day" is considered unacceptable use of the e-mail system
  • you can only use the printers, faxes and photocopiers for "Business use only"
  • "Personal mobile phones to be switched on or used during office hours except for absolute emergencies"
My personal favourite is the last one. If it was actually enforced, EVERYONE at work would be disciplined or fired for breaching, or "breeching" as was mentioned in the e-mail, the AUP. What fool dreamt up of that one, I wonder. The place is such a mess, there is about 1 phone for every 10 people, so the only way to actually carry out business related calls is to use your mobile.

Something else that made me laugh today, was they had this "crack team" of computer cleaners going around cleaning everyones PC's. They would have been better off cleaning the rest of the office, as there's crap thrown everywhere, so cleaning the computers didnt make much of a difference.

Thankfuly I did a search for blogs or blogging in the AUP, and there was no mention of it. I didnt expect it to be that up-to-date considering we're talking about a company that requires consultants to do even the simpliest of things!