Saturday, October 08, 2005
On this day:

Ikea & Swiss Army Knives

So, for anyone who doesn't know me (which is probably most!), I recently moved into a new unfurnished apartment. This meant that I had to buy all my furniture, and where else would I go, but Ikea. It was really expensive, but you have to hand it to them, they really do good quality stuff and they have such a range. I've been to Ikea before in New Jersey when I had to furnish my apartment there too, so I knew what to expect. But I still can't get over the scale of it. The amount of money they must make is amazing. When I went most recently, it even prompted me to research the history of the company to see where it came from. It's worth a read if you have some time.

Sidetracking a bit, before I went off on my holidays to South America I bought a Swiss Army Knife from Victorinox. It was probably one of the handiest things I brought with me. Myself and my flat mates also make good use of it when we first moved in and didn't have any bread knife (we still dont, but we got a really sharp knife Ikea one that does the trick). The Swiss Army Knife is so handy, I gotta hand it to the person who invented it.

So, back to the present where the Swedish and Swiss combined forces to allow me finish building my chest of drawers. I was going to bring them back to Ikea, but turns out I have so much clothes I actually need it. But when I went to build it on Thursday night, I didn't have any tools with me. The ones I used to build everything else were taken back by my flatmates brother. So, I turned to my Swiss Army Knife to get me through it. And low and behold, the ease of assembling an Ikea item and the genius of Swiss Army Knife allowed me build the thing really easily. I was missing a hammer though, and as great as the Swiss Army Knife is, it was no substitute. I had to improvise.

In summary my point is, you gotta love Ikea and the Swiss Army Knife. Just goes to show Sweden isn't just good for it's good looking women and Switzerland isn't just known for stashing money and gold to avoid the tax man!