Wednesday, October 05, 2005
On this day:

Hockeyed at Cricket

As I've said before, cricket is actually good fun. Well, it's also bloody hard. The actual cricket tournament was on last night and we were blown away. We played quite well last week amongst ourselves, but playing against the other teams was a different story!

I was batting first in our first game, which I didn't mind. I didn't know at the time, but opening batsmen usually face the best bowlers, so they bowling team can try and get a few early wickets. My God, were these guys good. They were bowling at an incredible speed. Luckily, we didn't manage to go into negative figures (as our team did later for a time before we went positive again!) so it wasn't too bad. They were just so much better.

We ended up losing both games by quite a decent margin both times, but it was good fun. Most other teams had a number of people who regularly play cricket, so we were at a huge disadvantage when we had one guy who played a few years ago! He was still our best player though.

It was a fairly good indication of how good the team was, by the number of people wearing cricket whites! We had none, so my my theory, we were crap. And we were. So therefore, my theory holds true.

Even though we were well beaten, we all enjoyed ourselves. We stayed behind after and had a few pints, so all's good. We would have won an award for most spirited team (if there was one!)