Thursday, July 07, 2005
On this day:

Terrorist Attacks On London

While not wanting to report on the terrible tragedy of what happened in Central London today, as its reported extensively everywhere on the internet, I want to add my own personal view from London, where I currently am.

I came to London on Wednesday evening to find a place to stay for when I start my new job in Canary Wharf on 18th July. The house hunting is going well, but came to a stop today as all the appointments that we had arranged for today (we being Billy, a friend who was travelling with me) were cancelled. I dont have much to say because I was no where near the incidents and also asleep when they happened, but it certainly makes me glad that we're looking for an apartment within walking distance of work.

We decided to look for a place near work so that we can avoid the sweaty underground in the summer but also not to have to spend over an our everyday getting to and from work. But after the terrible events of today, I'm delighted that I dont have to go around in the daily fear of a terrorist attack as I go to and from work. Admittedly I am working in one of the two main target areas, the City being the other, but I'm confident in the security measures in place.

I lived and worked in New York with my office actually being across the road from the World Trade Center and my daily commute involving walking all along the massive hole that its destruction left behind. That in a way has made me realise that you have to just continue going about your business in a normal way and not stop doing things because of what might happen.

If I didnt believe that, I wouldnt have flown all around North and South America for 2 months. Living in the fear of what might happen, be it a bus, train or airplane accident is stupid and prevents anyone from enjoying life. Sure, it might be you, but the chances of it are so small versus the rewards of living a full life, its common sense to move on.