Monday, December 19, 2005
On this day:

The rest of Chicago

My holiday to Chicago was really good. I had a great time there, even if it was freezing everyday. Seemingly it was one of the coldest starts to December Chicago has had in quite a while. Funny thing is you actually get used to it. Just put on about 3 layers, a scarf, gloves, a hat, a jacket, a good pair of waterproof shoes and you're laughing. The killer is when it's snowing and driving into your face, but other than that, it's all good.

On my way home, instead of sleeping as I should have, I thought about the things that stood out from the week. Things I noticed in Chicago and the holiday in general are as follows:

  • ATM machines in Chicago say "Sure" and "No, Thanks" instead of Yes and No
  • The Chicago Bulls are a crap team now
  • Ice Hockey fans are great fun and love shouting abuse at players
  • Chicago is cold (did I mention that?)
  • The Museum of Contemporary Art is worthless and not even worth the $1 donation I made
  • Penny's Noodles is a probably the best take-away I've ever had (I recommend the Red Curry and Chicken Satay)
  • American Airlines can be real idiots at times (more later)
  • My hockey team don't really need me (they won both games while I was away)
  • I sat next to a really nice guy on the way home, who is a full-time bingo caller!
  • I bought more presents for myself than everyone else combined
  • Ice-skating is quite different to rollerblading
  • The architecture in Chicago is amazing
  • No one recycles in Chicago
  • I saw Dublin city from 37,000 feet on my way home, which was cool

Overall, I had a great week with my friend Kellie in spite of the cold. I'd highly recommend going to Chicago, but going in summer is probably a good idea!