Saturday, November 05, 2005
On this day:

Not surprised really!

He just seems to attract attention no matter where he goes. Ol' W himself is in Argentina these days trying to set up the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) but is meeting resistance from all quarters, including Maradona!

I'm not going to get into a political debate about it all, but I'm following the story quite closely, mainly because I've been in Argentina and enjoy reading about the wonderful country. From my travelling around there, it comes as no surprise that they're protesting. When I was in Buenos Aires, there was a protest every second night. My grasp of Spanish isnt the best so I could never make out what they were protesting about, but they sure as hell made enough noise.

It must be a hobby at this stage for some people: "what are you doing tonight?", "oh, I'm going on a protest march again tonight" Nice way to spend the evening I guess. Out walking in the fresh air! The only downside of this hobby is the tear gas and batons of the police, but I guess that adds to the enjoyment of the hobby!

Argentines (or Argentinians, never sure which) have had a rough time of it recently. I was reading the country profile on The Economist and it makes interesting reading. The countries history is quite interesting and the article on Wikipedia is worth a read if you get a chance. The map of the Argentine territory includes the Falkland Islands and part of Antartica. Which reminds me of something else I need to add to my wishlist of things to do: go to Antartica. I can do it after my trip from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego!