Saturday, April 09, 2005
On this day:

I Knew My Name Would Cost Me My Moment of Glory on CNN

As you've probably guessed from the title of my blog, my name is Ciaran. If this is a surprise to you, then I think you're beyond help! You see, I spell my name the Irish way. Other ways of spelling it are: Kieran, Kyron, Kieron, Kiaran and Kiran. Definitions of my name here and here are interesting. Ciaran seems to mean "little dark one" which doesn't seem match me, but anyway.

Almost everytime I order something or give my name, they always end up spelling it incorrectly. The USA was a big problem. I was frequently greeted with "Could you repeat that Sir?" or "I beg your pardon Sir" (best read in an American accent!) and ended up getting called Siarnan or Siran. Things aren't much better in Ireland either and I frequently get called Kieran. I used to get annoyed, but I've decided not to worry any longer. Its pointless.

So when I got an e-mail asking how I pronounce my name, I wasn't too surprised. But when it came from CNN I sat up in my chair. This is the e-mail I was sent, just to prove I'm not pulling your leg:
Hi Ciaran,
Taking a stab that you might be online at this late hour. It's Jacki from CNN's Inside the Blogs.

We may use your blog on the air today, and I just want to make sure I pronounce your name correctly. My best guess is that it sounds like Kirin (like the beer), but please correct me if I am wrong. (or then forgive me if I mispronounce it should this email not reach you in time.

Thank you,
Jacki Schechner
CNN Blog Reporter
My blog was picked up by Jacki who does the "Inside The Blogs" segment on the programme Inside Politics. As the Pope's funeral is the hot topic at the moment, she gave a rundown of blogs referring to the Pope as can be seen in the transcript of the show. Having checked my blog at StatCounter, I've figured out that she was looking at my blog "Camera Phones & The Pope". She was probably going to mention how technology has impacted on one of the most tech savvy Popes. But she didnt! The fact she couldn't pronounce my name, undoubtedly cost me my moment of glory on CNN and was probably replaced by this blog, SuperMum.

Ah well, maybe I'll have better luck next time. Still, to be even considered for a mention on CNN is way cool. I never expected my blog to reach those dizzy heights. But to miss out on it because someone doesn't have a clue how to pronounce my name, is a kick in the teeth!

Update:

Seems like there is quite a bit out there about blogs getting mentioned on CNN's Inside Politics. Some examples here and here with some articles on the topic here, here and here.